As An Amazon Associate I Earn From Qualifying Purchases
Have you ever had to use your multimeter to measure an AC voltage? If not so, you need to have some knowledge about it. If you like doing your own work by yourself, then it is works that can give you pleasure to do it by yourself. A multimeter is a simple tool that can help you measure ac voltage that requires specific steps to do at home easily. If you have a multimeter in your house then, this operation will so easy to do. If you did not have a multimeter then purchase one from the market.
Have you ever had to use your multimeter to measure an AC voltage? If not so, you need to have some knowledge about it. If you like doing your own work by yourself, then it is works that can give you pleasure to do it by yourself.
A multimeter is a simple tool that can help you measure ac voltage that requires specific steps to do at home easily. If you have a multimeter in your house then, this operation will so easy to do. If you did not have a multimeter then purchase one from the market.
It is a very useful tool for your electrical activities. This instrument is very easy to handle. If you have gathered some knowledge about multimeter, then you will able to use it for various electronic purposes.
Measuring ac voltage using your altimeter is not as hard as it sounds. Some necessary steps and precautions you should take for doing it. Today in this article we try to describe a short and helpful procedure for you to measure ac voltage with a multimeter. If you can follow the procedure step by step, then you can measure ac voltage successfully at your home. Let’s jump for the main details-
Measuring voltage is not such hard work. It is also not an extraordinary ability to work. You need not to be very expert on electrical work. Just you have some specific knowledge about it. At your home, you can try it with a standard battery. When you connect your battery with a multimeter, then multimeter will show the reading in its screen. If there is any problem in your connection, then result not display on the screen. The main thing is making the proper connection to get an appropriate voltage measurement. So, the first important thing for measuring voltage is to make the connection between battery and multimeter.
Understand the measurement reading
Every AC voltage measurements will predictably differ or fluctuate from one another. The value varies because of voltage system or category of the ac system. This point should be kept in mind that when you took reading at different period of time, the reading will be different. This will happen for voltage up down or supply of voltage amount. What regularly occur is that the power is lesser than what is predictable or observe as usual.
Multimeter parts (Ports, Probes or Leads)
The elements of the multimeter are most likely the most vital. They are usually made with top quality ingredients to give correct readings and durable. If they are not finished with the proper substances, they will accidentally show wrong results. That may hamper your outstanding work. If the machine is not connected with the right source, it will even cause a dangerous accident
To avoid the unexpected situation, you have to buy the best quality multimeter which made with proper materials. You must know that, in which time you use what type of probes. Ports and leads should be checked before buying the multimeter. And when you use it for taking the reading, before each reading checks the ports regularly.
Check the Leads
Before starting your measuring procedure, you should check all the necessary parts that are used for voltage measurement. Firstly check the multimeter thoroughly. If it is ok, then check its leads properly. If it is also useful in condition, then you can start your job. The points should be checked manually. Check that is it damp or any type of damage on it. Check that there is any kind of crack, burned part, internally disconnected or loosens part on it. If all things are fine enough then you can carry on; otherwise, you should change the multimeter.
Manually test the Leads status
The crucial thing is to examine the state of the lead. It can be verified by setting the multimeter into its resistance mode. The reading value should be in ohms. After that, you will connect the ports with a device and tap the tips of the leads. If the whole things will be right, the reading value should be 0.5 ohms or less than that. This test is essential before the primary process. It should do it for avoiding massive accident and injuries.
Main Steps of Measuring AC Voltage
- The first step is to switch off all the circuits and plug points. Sometimes unwanted accidents will occur due to circuit breakers. Different voltages are also an essential factor behind it.
- Then turn on the multimeter and set the energy at highest rang set it to dial at the correct position.
- Insert the black color probe lead into the COM opening on the multimeter.
- Then insert the red color positive lead probe into the opening that marked as V sign. Sometimes it could be characterized as Greek symbol Ω (omega).
- An important point should be kept in mind that most of the multimeter usually in automatic mode. But when you measure the ac voltage, then auto mode should be changed in custom mode. The meter should set in the manual setting. Select the Ac volt range for necessary accuracy. So, for example, calculate 12 volts on the 20-volt range will provide additional decimal places than on the 200 volt series.
- Then the multimeter should be connected in a parallel way with a circuit in wait for the measurement of the voltage. Therefore, this means the two tests investigate should be linked in parallel with the energy resource. If you need to measure any other points, then load the points with the power source.
- If you did not change the auto mode, then turn on the V port opening for AC voltage measuring.
- Connect the black point next to the first end of the power source.
- Then connect the red probe next to the following point of the check. Make sure you don’t overpass the distance among the end being checked and adjoining the cabling, terminals with the PCB.
- Push in the main button (range button) to choose a specific desirable measurement value range.
- Then push the hold button to confine a steady measurement. You can be taken a reading after completing the measurement process.
- After that to get, the highest or lowest value range pushes the max or min switch. The DMM makes bleep for each time when a new measuring value has been recorded
- When previous actions have been done then touch the REL (relative) button to put the multimeter in a specific position value. Then collect the measuring amount from low to high from the displayed value.
- Finally, the reading will be shown on LCD. You can clearly take this measurement immediately.
Take previous safety action
Some common mistakes have been made by people while measuring the ac voltage with a multimeter. The common errors are-
- Incorrectly connect the circuits with test leads. These mistakes lead to an uncertain accident and circuit flash.
- The mistake will be happening in connecting red color lead in A marked opening.
- If you connect the lead with MA inputs, then the short circuit will have occurred accidentally.
- To avoid this harmful situation, some necessary steps should be taken previously. Sooner than using a multimeter to calculate chief voltages, make sure the trial leads are not broken and that there should not any uncovered conductors those could be contacted unintentionally.
- Check again and again that the main leads are connected to the general and energy opening of the DMM and not the other sockets. This is necessary to keep away from bluster up the meter.
- Make sure that the setting range dials on the meter to AC volts and the highest voltage range.
- Before inserting the probes into a socket opening try to turn off the power at the whole period of time. Do not use hand directly to the switch on the circuit opening. Include a probe into the neutral point primary before putting in a probe into the active pin of the socket. When you connect the inquiry into the active pin previously, the accident will have occurred. If the multimeter is defective, the charge could flow through the multimeter to the nonaligned probe. In this time if you accidentally touch the cable, then you will get an uncertain shock.
At the end of this discussion, I want to say that measuring ac voltage with a multimeter is not such a difficult job for anyone. Everyone will measure this with some proper knowledge on it. But the main key point is to gather an appropriate knowledge of multimeter. How it works and what type of facilities should be included with it. If you are enthusiastic enough about doing your electrical works by yourself, then select a high quality multimeter for your daily life use. I hope this article will help you to measure ac voltage by your multimeter. Be careful about the precautions tasks before doing this task at home.
For more information about multimeter you can read my previous articles on multimeter…………. Hope you enjoy it. Till then take care and have a nice day!